Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

i cant stay away

It seems to have been quite a while since my last post, so I will try my hardest to remember everything that I've done since March 12th...
The second day in Perth I bussed into town with Rocko to get some groceries (Our tour didn't provide our food for that day, and numerous other meals, even though our travel agent assured me they would...) and go on the internet. That evening we wwatched sunset on cable beach and then went out to a really nice microbrewerie called Matso's. I tried Chilli beer (really delish until Missy said it tasted like bile, cheers for that). I also had mango beer (amazing) and coffee beer. Both were really good. Took a cab home for an early night since our bus was to leave at 6am the next morning.
Got up at 10 to 6 and went outside for the bus, we had to drive 1000 km to karijini national park. Just Rocko, Karen, myself and the driver. Fun fun. It actually wasn't too bad. I slept heaps, listening to some good music that our driver put on and finished 2 amazing books. One was by an Aussie author, from Tasmania, and the book was called Rouseabout, so good. The other was The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, courtesy of Meg. It was a really good book, I actually was full-on laughing out loud. If Dad had been driving he probably would have yelled at me for laughing too much. (Miss you Rach!) The day went by quickly and we arrived in Karijini around 730pm. Long, long day. We pinched food off teh tour making their way to Broome. Exmouth snapper in curry. So tasty. We went to sleep under teh stars since the tents were all full. As we were getting our swags out I spotted a giant huntsman spider in a swag and Rocko freaked right out.
The group played blind kareoke, where you have iPod earphones in and sing along while also wearing a blindfold. it was so hilarious. 2 foreign guys sang spice girls, classic.
Woke up early the next day and drove from 8am to about 6pm. Another long day that went by insanely fast. Really missed my iPod though. That night we stayed at a sheep shearing station. Lovely. It was alright, pretty rugged, but quaint. There was a couple there on their honeymoon, going up to Karijini to hike and all that. We had a nice dinner of Chinese BBQ chicken and went to sleep early. There was a cool lightening storm going on. Rocko and I were going to stay in the driver's room since it had a double bed and wasn't a dorm, but we saw a giant huntsman spider and when i went to kill it, it got under my bed. Also, the room was full of creepy bugs. So we switched to the dorms and as soon as we shut the light out the wind started howling and banging doors open and then we could hear footsteps outside our room. I called out to Karen to see if she was up and wlaking around but she was in bed too. We also could hear footsteps outside the buidling. I was convinced we were going to be killed by an ax murdered. I happened to flip to a passage in the Bible that said don't fear men as they can only harm your body, but fear God for he can harm your soul and send you to hell for eternity. I felt a bit better after that, but definitely didn't have a sound sleep. Awoke the next morning to find out that the couple hadn't been able to sleep and were walking around outside all night. Good to know!
Our last day of driving went by quickly, and Rocko and I taught ourselves how to french braid! Very exciting, I know. Our driver was kind enough to take us all the way back to UWA, even though he didn't have to, and gave us all the leftover food we wanted! So nice. We got to uni around 6pm, caught up with Fran and Alice and then went to bed around midnight. Such a good sleep. The next day Rocko and I went into town and I got a brand new iPod nano, 8gigs, with video and fm radio. bright pink, natch. I like it a lot. We also went to Scarborough beach for a nap. When we got back to uni we got all ready for the big st patty's day party. We had to wear hideous Trinity polo shirts to get into the party, since it was for Trinity College only. We went to a house party first and Alice drew awful clover leaves on our faces and tattoos on our arms. The tattoos were the same as an irish guy we met on the east coast. sooo funny. the house party was good, but we didn't stay too long. Moved on to the Tav for the Trinity party. Got in with no dramas. Left the party just after midnight and walked back to college. one of the girl's friends was back as well and kept trying to chat to rocko as she was curled up in her sleeping bag, it was too funny.
This morning I got to skype with lots of people, it was great. Walked into town with Rocko and looked into renting a car to go to Margaret River, but it was going to cost so much and there were no economy cars available, so we have decided to just kick it here a while longer. I'm a bit gutted since there is a major surf comp going on in Marg, but I just can't justify another 200$. There was a little contest going on for a shake company where they blend up some food item with ice cream and you have to guess what it is, and 3 ppl go on stage and whoever guesses first wins a shake of their choice. Obviously I got really into it, and the other 2 girls didn't. And I won! It was a fruit pastal shake. I don't even know what that is, but we had a sheet with about 40 flavours and I picked the right one first. I went in to get my free shake and picked honeycomb. It wasn't really as good as I had hoped, but it was free! Yay!
When we got back to college today I unpacked my iPod and started to set it up. Just for a laugh I tried to turn on my ipod and guess what...it works again. Arg. So typical. I called the store to see if I could return it and they said if its opened its mine. Kind-of sucks, but what can you do.
Anyway there is a house party tonight, so I'm going to need a nice long nap first.
Love!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of blind karaoke! And I'm glad you've survived potential axe murderers/honeymooners (good call on Matthew 10:28- yes, I had to look up the reference) and huntsman spiders. By the way, how is War and Peace coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..i started it on the plane from san fran to auck. but then i stopped. i had to start again from the beginning the other day. now im just annoyed with it, im confused too because some characters seem to have the same name...oy

    ReplyDelete