Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

They can hear the clamour in your whispering

I am so burnt. But, on the upside the weather has been awesome the past 3 days!
The Tongan cave party/feast was so good. I had raw fish, suckling pig, octopus, seaweed, kumala, cassava and breadfruit pudding. The dancing was really good too, probably super touristy but I liked it. They had fire dancing too, the boys lit their bodies on fire, it was pretty wild. The girls would grease up their arms and people stuck money on them. A few dirty old men stuck the bills elsewhere, which was not appreciated in this uber-religious country. I took the ferry to Eua on Saturday, the old german couple gave me seasickness pills before we left, so while everyone else was voming we were all good! Arrived at the 'resort' a few hours later. It was like no resort I've ever seen. I elected to stay in a tent and they put down a mattress for me with a pillow and blankets. I was stoked with it. Sat on the platforms by the beach all afternoon and read my book. Finally, the Tonga beach vacation I was looking for! Free wireless internet too, although very slow and very unreliable was nice to have. That night there was a massive thunderstorm. I had been warned that lightening often touches ground here. Freaked me out a bit but I was fine. In the morning I realized the tent was flooded with about a 1/4 inch of water. Siiick. I went to Tongan church that morning with the 3 other couples at the resort. It was wild to not understand a word, but the singing was incredible and SO loud. In the afternoon I whale whatched (saw 4!) and slept in the sun, swam a bit but it was hard since the water was shallow and the coral cuts your feet. I ate dinner with the other couples, it was a traditional Umu, lamb, fish and beef cooked in tonga leaves underground. It was yum and very smoky, kind of like hangi. I went to bed early-ish since I had to get up at 330am for the ferry. Couldn't sleep well because I got a migraine and my bed was really disgustingly damp. The ferry back was nice, got to see the sunrise. Now I'm back at Friend's cafe, waiting for the hostel van to pick me up. I decided to stay in the nicer rooms this time around, a bit more expensive but worth it I hope.
LOVE.
3 more sleeps until I'm back home! NZ home anyway...

1 comment:

  1. Not many sleeps til you're HOME home! I'm super excited, even if you're not. Big news of the day: Daphne said "Hannah". Twice. And you missed it. Better come home soon!

    ReplyDelete