Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Girlfriend in a coma, I know, I know, its really serious

Orewa
This is why I stayed a second night!
Stone Store and Kemp House
kauri tree
Cape Reinga
Cape Reinga was so awesome! We went to the kauri forest (gigantic trees, you aren't alowed to cut down even if its on your property). Apparently its good luck to hug one.
Then we drove to Cape Reinga, a super spiritual place for the Mauri people. The spirits of dead people go there 7 days after they die according to their religion. So we chilled out there for a bit. The Northernmost postbox in New Zealand is there and they still hand write the date and stuff there so those postcards are collectibles items!
We went to a bay for lunch, gorgeous. Then drove along 90 mile beach (actually its 65 miles, but still long!) Stopped at a Buried Kauri forest and museum on the way home. The wood is so expensive but very durable I guess. We also went sandboarding at "The Giant Sand Dunes". I was the only one to bail because 1) I went first and 2) did not listen to instructions. It was a kind of sandboarding where you lie down rather than stand like in Oz. So I flippen rolled and got sand EVERYWHERE. I did it right the second time though. haha.
Sunday I went to a Farmer's market and tried cheeses, wines, tamarillos (south american sour/sweet fruit), jams, chutneys, olive oils and much more. Its a famous market and I can see why! The locals were so friendly and happy to chat to me for ages about their products. I bought 100,000 avocados, blue cheese and a flat white. Good morning!
I went for an 8km run at the Rainbow Falls track by the Stone Store. Super old houses around there, like 1838 or something. I originally thought 1838 was how far the stone store was from town but turns out its when it was built. I was like 'wow they are precise! everything else was like 3km or whatever'. haha.
I was stoked though, longest run I have done in ages.
Monday I went for a lazy coffee and muffin sitting outside a cafe reading a magazine. Such a hard life I lead! Went for another run along the rainbow falls track that afternoon and lazed around the rest of the day. My roomie left on Sunday, she was really cool, shes a kiwi travelling all over NZ taking photos to sell at an art show next year.
Tuesday I drove to Waitangi, said goodbye to kerikeri, also home of the dirtiest hostel ever. Never ever stay at the Top 10 Holiday Park there, its absolute filth. They never one cleaned my room.
In Waitangi I went for a 10km walk on the Hururu Falls track. It was nice, a hot sunny day too. Would have gone to the Visitor centre to learn about the treaty but I didn't have my working holiday visa so I would have had to pay 25$ rather than 12$. Shame.
My plan was to stay in Paihia, but to be honest it looked like a hole, so I kept going. Drove around the toll highway this time (I paid the first time, 2$ for like 5 mins of highway. Thanks soooo much for that. The coastal highway was beautiful and wind-ey. As I was coming down a massive hill i saw this long stretch of beach and thought "I have to stay here". I prayed that God would provide a cheap hostel (20$ or less) and I drove to the first hostel I came across (one of two in town). It cost 20$! God is so good. I chatted to the owner for a while since I was a bit lonely from being alone all day and he upgraded me to a private room with a TV! I walked along the beach for a few hours and then went to Countdown and got some food. Proceeded to watchTV until midnight. I haven't watched TV in months and months. We don't get channels in Welly since we have no bunny ears. It was so good! How I Met Your Mother was on and I died laughing.
The next morning I couldn't leave, Orewa was too gorgeous. I ran about 6km along the beach yesterday am and again today. Yesterday I sent some more postcards and bought some gifts for the family. Got a discount voucher for the Waiwera Thermal Park so I went there for a bit, cost 10$ instead of 25$! I lounged in the natural hot pools that smell like sulphur and then went to the Movie thermal pool. They actually show movies on a big screen, so cool!
Today I'm going to Tauranga to surf and maybe see my plane friend again.
LOVE!

1 comment: